St Cuthbert's church was originally built as a four bay aisless nave with lancets and a narrow square tower.

The Chapel was extended  in 1900 by Colonel Edward Joicey in memory of his father, also Edward. The Nave was restored, the Chancel built and the tall slender spire added.

In recent years the oak shingles of the spire have been replaced, allowing some magnificent views from the scaffolding.

A drawing of St Cuthbert's, with its original tower, without the spire.
A workers climbs a ladder, upto the scaffold encased spire.
A close up shot of the spire, against a blue hazy sky.