A brass plaque on the south wall lists the names of the people whose graves were covered by the chancel when it was built in 1900. The marble steps leading up to the Altar are symbolically coloured to represent the three steps of man’s journey to Heaven:
- BLACK – represents man’s sinful and fallen condition
- RED – represents the blood of Christ shed obtain man’s salvation from sin
- WHITE – represents the eventual complete sanctification which man, now freed from sin, has to work out in a life lived for God and his fellow men.
The cupboard (or Aumbry) in the top corner of the sanctuary is where reserved sacrament was kept (this would have been distributed to the sick and house-bound).
The East window above the altar shows Christ ruling in majesty surrounded by well-known saints who served him in Northumbria. These are The Venerable Bede, St. Aidan, St. Cuthbert, St. Columba, King Oswald (and his Queen), St. Wilfred and Benedict Biscop. The window was designed and made by the north east stained-glass maker, William Kempe and his special wheatsheaf can be spotted by the observant visitor with patience.
The beautifully craved oak Reredos behind the altar was a gift from Florence Joicey (widow of Edward Joicey). The two-manual organ was built around 1900 by the Sunderland firm of Vincent.
Although the churchyard was “closed” to further burials in 1880, it remains an interesting insight to distant times and the more affluent residents of nineteenth century Greenhead. Many are very weathered, and some have been resituated (years ago) to the churchyard walls for safety reasons. The churchyard is now maintained by Northumberland County Council.